Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Television, Internet, and Me

I don't watch as much TV as I once did. Gone are the days of crashing in front of the boob tube for hours on end, watching whatever the program directors decided. When I was younger I could watch Grease, Roadhouse, Pointbreak, or any thing starring Jimmy Stewart, no matter how many times I'd seen them already. I didn't follow any weekly sitcoms or dramas. Occasionally, my friends and I would visit Blockbuster in our pajamas, rent all the Star Wars movies or all the Eastwood spaghetti westerns, and then visit the grocery for pound bags of MMs to eat with our delivered Pizza. I took pride in my movie trivia acumen.

Those days are long gone. Now, I feel like I'm wasting time if I sit still for one entire movie. My TV attention span stretches one hour, unless there is an election in progress. MMs and pizza? Only if I want to guilt myself into two hours on the treadmill the next day.

But, I can waste hours on the internet without the guilt. Why? Well, I don't feel compelled to nibble when surfing the net (it doesn't feel as natural), thus no food guilt. Also, I can convince myself that I'm stimulating my brain and learning something, that my pointless browsing on the internet is 'research.' Alas, these are only fictions I tell myself.

What is the point of this entry? None, and that is the beauty of a weblog. See you later

No comments: