Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Nanotech

Nanotech, the technology of amazingly small devices, is one of the fastest growing areas of research in the world. Combine that with nanotech's near limitless potential and with the truly limitless imagination of Scifi authors and you get one of the premier topics of current Scifi (I've even written a short story myself centered around nanotech, unpublished of course.)

One of the books that thrust nanotech into the light of science fiction's radiant lamp was "Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. Here is a typical review,

"Snow Crash drew its manic energy from the cyberpunkish conceit that anything is possible in virtual reality; in The Diamond Age the wonders of cyberspace pale before the even more dazzling powers of nanotechnology." The New York Times Book Review


I write this tonight because earlier today I saw "Diamond Age" on my ipod. I bought the book originally, but couldn't slog my way through it. Spurred on by the continuous praise for the book, I purchased it through Audible.com, and found that I couldn't even listen to it all the way to the end. Don't get my wrong, I like Stephenson's books. I devoured "Snow Crash" and
"Cryptonomicon", but I found "Diamond Age" dreadfully slow and tedious. That's just me however, and this shouldn't stop you from reading the book, but I imagine you've already read it.

Interested in nanotech? To catch up on the latest go to physorg.com

Goodnight

No comments: