Thursday, February 1, 2007

Snow Day

It snowed last night, or it pretended to snow. If you go outside there is snow on the grass in the shade of a tree. And for this small amount of snow, every school system within 100 miles is closed. It's almost as if the people running the school don't want to go to work. Almost as if they want a day off as much as the kids. Actually, they cancelled school last night, hours before the first snow flakes fell. They have much more faith in the predictive abilities of the weather channel than I do.

I guess this jibes with the local attitude toward snow inclement weather in general. Everytime the weather channel predicts snow, there is a mad rush to get to the grocery to buy milk and bread. You can't live without milk and bread, and god forbid it really did snow, then you'd have to wait until the afternoon sun melted the snow to go to the snow. Or, gasp, you may even have to go 24 hours with out fresh milk and a loaf of bread. Someone please tell me, how much milk do people drink? A gallon lasts 4 days in my house, and we go through a loaf of bread in 10 days.

By the way, I live in Tennessee, just so you'll know. I like snow. Hell, I love snow, but the whole city doesn't need to shut down over a 1/2 inch of the stuff. Enough complaining, I'm going outside to play in the leftover snow with my kids.

No comments: