Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Family Tragedy

I haven't posted for several days, we had a tragedy in the family. I won't go into specifics, but it has proven a rough few days. During our time away, I began rereading 'Quantum Pshychology' by Robert Anton Wilson. The book walks a fine line between science and speculation, but Wilson does this admirably. For those of you who don't know, Wilson died recently. If you aren't familiar with him then you definitely need to read some of his books, and perhaps check out his wikipedia entry.

For beginners of Wilson, I suggest the 'Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy' if you prefer fiction or 'Quantum Pshychology' for those of you that prefer nonfiction. He's probably best known for
'The Illuminatus Trilogy' with Bob Shea.

Wilson has influenced writers from many fields, but perhaps most from science fiction. One example is Cory Doctorow of BoingBoing fame and author of 'Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom'. Doctorow, among others, has sighted Wilson as an influence. Also, podcast host and writer R.U. Sirius (another person to check out on the net) was influenced by RAW.

I find myself really attracted to the philosophy espoused by Wilson, and I'm unwilling to attemtp to distill it for easy consumption. I think someday he will be regarded as a visionary by more than a handful of admirers and readers, and you would do well to familiarize yourself with his work. So, here is to Robert Anton Wilson.

No comments: