Thursday, February 1, 2007

Reading

I just finished reading Eight Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block. It was good, but not great. I've read such good things about Block that perhaps my expectations were too high. Before I pick up another of his books, I'll do some research into which books are his best.

I also read Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald. It is a very entertaining book. MacDonald is one of the early writers, if not the earliest, to feature South Florida as his prime backdrop. Since then other writers such as Hiaasen and Leonard have mined this apparently rich landscape. Speaking of Florida and writing, I like Laurence Shames. Check out his book Scavenger Reef, which is set in Key West.

Now, I've picked up A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. I just started, but the man seems to have a brawny imagination.

No comments: